TIACA’s transformation journey started in 2018 with a primary objective to make the Association financially sustainable and strong enough to take up the challenges requested and needed by its members in the long term.
The second transformation priority is to adapt TIACA’s vision, mission, values, and agenda and focus to the new challenges faced by the industry.
The goal of TIACA’s final stage of transformation is to make the Association fit for its newly redefined purpose:
- Review and modernize TIACA’s governance to bring more transparency & representativity in decision and policy making
- Review and modernize TIACA’s delivery model, internal business processes and tools to be more efficient and agile and be equipped to meet members’ needs
Last May, the Board has mandated the consulting firm Change Horizon to deliver its transformation program by the end of August 2020 with a revised governance structure and a fitter organizational set-up established. The Transformation Task Force composed by 7 Board members continues to oversees the Transformation program through a weekly call.
While not yet finalized (but August is not over yet), great progress has been made:
The Association’s vision, mission, values, strategic priorities and 2020 objectives have been reviewed, revised, and approved by the Board of Directors in June 2020.
Review and modernize TIACA’s governance to bring more transparency & representativity in decision and policy making
This work package includes the revision and rewriting of job description for the future Director General, roles descriptions for Directors and Officers (Chair, Vice-chair, Treasurer, Secretary), a Code of conduct for Directors and Officers and the Rules and procedures of Board and Members meetings.
The job description for the future Director General, the roles descriptions for Directors and Officers (Chair, Vice-chair, Treasurer, Secretary), and the Code of conduct for Directors and Officers have all been delivered and already approved or to be approved by the Board.
Change Horizon is still working on the Rules and procedures of Board and Members meetings.
We are planning to set up another series of Trustees webinar in September to tell you more about the governance changes and get your feedback before it is finalized and brought for voting.
Review and modernize delivery model, internal business processes and tools to be more efficient and agile and be equipped to meet members’ needs
TIACA’s delivery model, including staff, sub-contractors, partners and internal business processes and tools are being reviewed and modernized to ensure the Association is fit to deliver its new ambitions and able to serve best its members.
As part of this work package, Change Horizon worked with the team to redefine and clarify each role, identify skill gaps and development opportunities. We believe this is key to start with our people as they are the face of TIACA.
Did you know that TIACA’s permanent staff, outside of the Director General, is currently only 2 full-time employees?
Supporting functions like IT, graphic design, legal and accounting are outsourced. Communication activities, previously outsourced, have been identified as a core business activity for a trade association like TIACA, so the Board has decided to insource all communication activities: corporate communication, media relations, website, social media, and other digital publications, like this Trustee Connect, are now under the responsibility of Rachael.
TIACA’s agenda requires specific expertise in key areas affecting the air cargo industry: economics, sustainability, training, pharma, etc. This is why TIACA’s delivery model is based on partnerships:
- TIACA selected subject matter experts and specialists to deliver on projects like Change Horizon for Sustainability, SASI for Training, CLIVE Data services for Economics, 4ADVICE for pharma
- TIACA works with industry partners to deliver more, amplify the messages, unite the industry with one voice, etc.
As part of this work package, Change Horizon and TIACA team are also working on:
- Insourcing communication, revamping the website, improving the quality of publications, and strengthening relationships with media. This is driven by Rachael and Justina, from Change Horizon.
- Migrating to an efficient Association Management Solution (AMS), developing a brand-new Members’ portal to maximize value for members and streamline the membership management processes. This is driven by Kenneth and Celine, with a great support from one of our Board members: Christos Spyrou from Neutral Air Partner.
- Building easy to use and relevant templates to simplify TIACA’s day-to-day business.
Search for future Director General
The vacancy, based on the approved job description, has been posted on TIACA website and announced through press release, social media, and industry engagement.
Candidates can submit their applications until 15 September 2020. As this position is challenging, exciting, and rewarding, TIACA is looking for people demonstrating a genuine interest for TIACA and its members, with leadership and creativity skills to raise the profile of the new TIACA, expand the membership base, develop new regional and international partnerships and develop TIACA’s agenda further.
The selection process is as follow:
- TIACA Secretariat is doing a first screening to retain only completed applications and then to short-list candidates based on their air cargo or logistics expertise and level of interest they are showing for TIACA.
- The first short-list will be reviewed by the Transformation Task Force, a sub-set of the Board, acting as the Selection Committee and composed by 7 Board members.
- The Selection Committee will then short-list 3 to 5 candidates for interviews
- The Board will be making the final decision upon recommendations from the Selection Committee.
As you can read, summer months have been busy on our side, still are as we run through the finish line and we hope to show you the new TIACA very soon! In the meantime, don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or suggestions.